Self-Employed People

Whether you work for yourself, as a contractor or as a trade member, you can get covered through Washington Healthplanfinder. Read on to learn more about how to apply when you are self-employed.

Am I Self-Employed?

There are many ways to be self-employed. Below are a few common ways of being self-employed. If you do not know if your situation counts, contact us.

If any of these apply to you, you are self-employed:

  • You run a business full- or part-time
  • You practice a trade or business as a sole proprietor or independent contractor
  • You are a member of a partnership that practices a trade or business

Learn more about self-employment on the IRS website.

Self-Employment Income

We understand that self-employment income is not always predictable. That makes it even more important to report it correctly and get the most savings you can. 


Estimating Income

When you use Washington Healthplanfinder, you will be asked about your income. This is to determine your eligibility for savings.

If you are self-employed, your net monthly income is your profits minus business expenses. Common business expenses include:

  • Car and truck expenses (not including commute costs)
  • Depreciation
  • Employee wages and fringe benefits
  • Property, liability or business interruption insurance
  • Interest (including mortgage interest paid to banks)
  • Legal and other professional services
  • Rent or lease of business property and utilities
  • Commissions, taxes, licenses and fees
  • Advertising
  • Contract labor
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Business-related travel and meal costs

Tax payments can also be deducted from income when you apply. If you do not know your monthly tax payment amount, check your last tax return. Divide the amount of taxes you paid by 12 to get a monthly estimate.

Income Changes During the Year

Let us know when your monthly income changes by $150 or more. If your income decreases, you may qualify for more savings. If it increases and you do not update your income, you may have to pay back tax credits.

Irregular Income

For many, income amounts can change from month to month. This is especially true when you are self-employed. You can handle irregular income a few ways in Washington Healthplanfinder.

First, you can use your average monthly income. This option may be the best for you if you have income that changes predictably throughout the year. To get your average, divide your annual income by 12.

You can also report a change each time your income changes. This method gives us the most accurate way to determine your savings amount.

Learn more about reporting income in Washington Healthplanfinder.

Ready to Apply?

Husband and Wife self-employed as owners of a coffee shop

Sign into Washington Healthplanfinder and what you qualify for.

Get Started